Saturday, February 26, 2011

February 26: Saint Victor

Okay, anybody who has been following my blog for any length of time knows one of my greatest faults is jealousy. It's a running theme in my life and blog, along with mental illness, sex addiction, food addiction, and chocolate.  I can become ridiculously obsessed with the successes of relatives, friends, authors, and celebrities, especially if I find the successes completely undeserved.

Let me give you a pretty innocuous example. I have an uncle who paints oil landscapes.  He started this artistic pursuit a few years before he retired after 30-plus years at GM in Detroit. In his retirement, his output has increased. He's like the Grandma Moses of our family, minus the fact that he wasn't born before Lincoln became president, didn't work on a farm most of his life, and wasn't a woman. Uncle Moses doesn't sell his artwork.  He does his own matting and framing, and he usually gives it away to family and friends.

He donated several of his paintings to the medical office in which I work. I'm surrounded by his talent, and every week some person asks me if his artwork is for sale. I have never had any kind of artistic ability with oil painting. My visual arts abilities are restricted to pen and pencil sketches. I've tried to duplicate my uncle's landscapes with colored pencils with limited success. Very limited. I envy my uncle for his gift, and the fact that he's sort of become a semi-legend in our extended family. I will never reach the stature he's reached among our relatives, unless I win a Pulitzer Prize or publish a bestselling book that Oprah chooses for her book club. Even if I become a Blog of Note it won't matter. And the most frustrating thing is that Uncle Moses remains kind and humble. It's sickening.

Victor, today's feast saint, is another example.  He was born in France and spent most of his life as a hermit in the region of Champagne.  He's famous for converting many to the Christian life, but he remained a recluse.  Most of what we know about Vic comes from hymns and an Office about him written by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux.  Vic never wrote, composed, painted, or performed.  His whole life was defined by "prayer, fasting, and almsgiving."

I guess I should take a few cues from Vic and Uncle Moses.  They never wanted fame or notoriety.  They lived and used their gifts, quietly and without fanfare.  They didn't care who was paying attention.  (By the way, my uncle is still alive, still painting, and still full of humility.)

Saint Marty needs to practice his humble act a little more.  He might become a Blog of Note that way.  Not that his relatives would give a shit.

Here's a few examples of Uncle Moses' paintings:





1 comment:

  1. What no comments about the "famous" cousin chef? He seems pretty note worthy to perk up family jealously. I feel good that you are back to your old petty self. Thank you. Love from your Wondertwin

    ReplyDelete