Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19: Dead Birds, Psalm 42, Poetry Reading

Yesterday, when I got home from work, there was a bowl face-down on my front lawn.  I thought my daughter had eaten a snack outside and then left the empty bowl carelessly on the grass.  I swore a little bit, went to the bowl, and picked it up.  Underneath was a dead wren.  I screamed like a girl for a second.  When I went inside, my daughter told me she'd covered the bird up because she it made her sad to look at it.  I thanked her for giving me the idea for a poem.  That is the genesis of today's psalm.


Bye bye birdie!

This whole week is going to be crazy busy.  Tonight, I have a rehearsal for a drama in which I'm performing on Maunday Thursday.  Then I going to a local business to read poetry at an open mic night for National Poetry Month.  (I told you about this event yesterday.)  Tomorrow night, I have another drama rehearsal at 6 p.m.  I have choir practice at 7 p.m.  Then I have band practice at 8 p.m.  On Thursday, I have one more drama rehearsal at 5 p.m.  The drama takes place after a potluck dinner at 6 p.m.  At 7 p.m., there's going to be a communion service.  On Good Friday, I have services at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.  On Saturday, I have practice for an Easter sunrise service at 11 a.m.  At 9 p.m., I'm playing for the Easter Vigil mass at the local Catholic church.  Then, on Easter morning, I have a service at 7 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.  After that, I'm going to collapse and possibly drink heavily.  Between all those things, I have papers to correct and poems to write.

Saint Marty is trying to maintain his sanity, trying to carve a little sacred time out of an incredibly crazy week.  Pray for him.

Psalm 42:  Wren

My daughter found a dead wren
On our lawn this morning,
On its back in frozen mud,
Its brown and white feathers
Dusted with frost and dew.
It looked as if it had fallen
In love with the stars during
The night, lain down on the ground
To admire their slow burn
Across the dark, and gone to sleep
In the middle of its reverie,
The way I sometimes doze off
In bed mid-prayer, blessings
Still sitting on my tongue, waiting.
My daughter covered the wren
With a cereal bowl, Corelle
Mausoleum under the April sun,
White as an eggshell.  I saw
The bowl when I came home,
Bent down, lifted it up
To see what it concealed.
The wren greeted me
With black eyes, its body
Soaked with melt and warmth.
As I watched, its chest
Lifted, fell, lifted again.
I waited to see if the wren
Would flit to its feet,
Fly away, risen, resurrected.
The wren continued
To move, and I realized
It was being reclaimed,
Its body broken down by
Lice and ant and larva
To its elements, its primal state.
I placed the bowl over
The wren once more, to give
Its death privacy.  In three days,
I will check on the wren
To see if the stone has been
Rolled away, the tomb, empty
As Easter morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment