Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14: The End, Long Day, Platinum

Today was a much less stressful day than yesterday was.  We didn't get lost once, even though we ventured out into Howell, Michigan, a little further.  In the morning, my wife and I took a drive to find the local Weight Watchers franchise, so my wife could weigh in for the week.  Then we walked around the little strip mall next door to our hotel.  Outlet stores.  There were a lot of good buys.  I, myself, purchased a swimsuit so I could swim this evening.

After a morning of shopping and not getting lost, we got my daughter's hair in the required bun and her face covered with make-up,  Then we headed to the dance competition for her first performance.  I wasn't nervous until the minute they announced the title of her dance.  Then I felt like my son after drinking milk in a moving vehicle.  Translation:  I wanted to vomit.  But she, and her whole group, were fantastic.  My wife cried, and I nearly cried.  When I went to see her after she danced, all I could do was hug her and hug her.

Then we went for dinner at the local DQ in downtown Howell for dinner.  Not very satisfying.  I had a chocolate-covered strawberry Blizzard.  I really didn't feel like eating a hot dog.  Then it was back to the competition for my daughter's second number and the awards ceremony.

The second dance went great, as well.  It got one of the biggest ovations of the afternoon.  When it came time for the awards, my daughter's first dance got a gold star, which I thought was a rip-off.  It deserved more, but what the hell do I know?  I'm just a father, not a dancer.  (Yes, that was a veiled allusion to the film Showgirls.)  Anyway, my daughter's second number won a platinum star (the highest), and an award for most creative and most innovative.  Or something like that.  My daughter's first number also won the competition's best storytelling award.  It was a good day for my daughter's dance studio.

At the end of a long day, I went swimming with my daughter for a couple of hours.  I just tucked her into bed a little while ago, with an order of fries and chicken nuggets from McDonald's.  Overall, even though I'm pretty tired, I had a really good day.  I didn't get to write a poem (maybe tomorrow).  But I did something even better.  I saw my daughter positively glowing onstage.

Saint Marty.  A proud dance dad.

And proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment