Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21: First Day of Summer, Longest Day of the Year, Workshop

Today is the official first day of summer, the longest day of the year.  For the next few days, light takes hold of this part of the world and doesn't let go.  Then comes the slow slide to autumn and winter.  Each day will become shorter and shorter.  Pretty soon, it will be dark at four in the afternoon.  Darkness will be the guiding force.

I always like saying that for my friends who are sun worshippers.  When I was younger, I preferred the fall and winter months.  I loved rain and snow, the grey pall of those seasons.  As I've gotten older, I've found myself leaning more and more toward sunlight, like a plant in a window.  I now count summer as my favorite time of year.  I appreciate that dusk doesn't arrive now until almost 10 p.m.  I love running in temperatures in excess of 80 degrees.  I'm just one step away from those alligator-skinned people who winter in Florida and tan so much they're translucent.


Too much sun?

I plan to celebrate this long day of light by going to my Spiritual Autobiography Workshop this evening.  I've been looking forward to it all weekend.  I love the people in it, and I love the idea of using writing to become closer to God.  I don't think God has given me too many missions in life.  I just sort of stumble along until I happen to do the right thing, hopefully.  The times when I feel closest to doing God's work is when I'm teaching people about writing and journaling and poetry.  That's my mission, my gift.

I have met many gifted people in my life.  People who are able to do super-normal things.  I have a good friend who can sit at a piano, pick up a piece of music, and play it flawlessly.  She's always been able to do that.  I have another friend who can sing anything and bring you to tears.  The best man at my wedding can build anything, just give him a hammer, twist tie, and a rubber band.  My brother can do anything with electricity.  They're all gifted.

Gifts are different than talents.  I have a talent for music, but I have to practice my ass off.  I have a talent for art, but I suck at drawing hands.  I have a talent for directing plays, but I plan and prepare for a production for weeks.  I have a talent for singing, but I can't sight-read music for the life of me.

Talent takes work.  Gifts don't.

I have a gift for writing, and I love sharing that gift with other people in writing workshops.  That's why I'm looking forward to tonight.  I'm looking forward to using words and language to help people discover their own gifts and talents.  It will be joyful--full of laughter, maybe a few tears, and light.  Lots of light.

Saint Marty can't think of a better way to commemorate the first day of summer.

Celebrate the light

No comments:

Post a Comment