Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 9: Hot Stuff, New Poem, Guilt

I didn't think I was going to write a new poem today, but I did.  For some reason, when I started thinking about what I was going to blog about today, the image of a comic book I used to read as a kid popped into my head.  The comic book was about a little devil boy named Hot Stuff.  He came out of the same group of comics that contained Richie Rich and Little Lotta.  For those of you who weren't exposed to these comics, I feel sorry for you.  They were great.  Anyway, Hot Stuff was always getting into trouble, as most devils do.  The whole joy of reading Hot Stuff was witnessing how he got his little tail out of these jams.

Perhaps I'm the only person, aside from my brothers and sisters, who remembers Hot Stuff, but I really loved reading his adventures.  Growing up Catholic, I was constantly engaged in worrying about right and wrong, having to go to a priest and confess my sins.  It created a good deal of stress for me.  As most kids did, when I stepped into a confessional, I made up sins.  Swearing always did in a pinch.  So did talking back to your mother.  If you didn't want to talk about what was really weighing your conscience down, you could always use those two sins.  You never talked about girls or dirty thoughts or masturbation to a priest.  That would have been like paging through a Penthouse with your grandmother.

Having attained a certain age and level of maturity, I realize how adolescent my thinking was.  But I was an adolescent at the time, so I guess that's to be expected.  The poem I wrote today is about those feelings of guilt and shame and excitement.  It's a narrative poem, and has no political aspect to it at all.  I think it does capture the struggle most boys go through at some point in their young lives.  Maybe most girls, too. 

Saint Marty has a little confession...

Silver Dollars


Sunday mornings, my dad piled
Us kids into the van, took us
To church, a place of stained glass heat
In summer, wet wool in winter.
For over an hour, we sat in wooden pews,
Went to the dark confessional,
Unloaded all our guilt.  I kept
My trespasses to myself, hid them the way
I hid my Halloween candy every year.
So no one could find it.
We listened to priests talk about
Lepers, sin dark as patent leather,
Mary the Virgin, who never did
The things girls in the magazines
Under my brother’s mattress did.
After the final hymn, we piled
Back into the van, drove
To the Clock, a diner with vinyl
Booths and silver dollar pancakes.
I ate my plate of silver dollars,
Drank a vanilla malt, topped
With whipped cream, a maraschino
Red as Hot Stuff, the comic book
Devil boy with horns and trident.
Hot Stuff never went to confession,
Did anything he wanted, learned
About right and wrong the easy way,
By sleeping in on Sundays,
Studying girls’ bodies in secret
Pages, glossy and stapled.
By eating stack upon stack
Of gold pancakes, piled
Up, buttered, seeped in syrup.
He stuffed himself until
His red belly bloated
To the size of a roasted pig,
Until his devil skin split open,
Spilled out his jackpot of crimes.
Hot Stuff couldn’t conceal his sin
The way I could on those Sunday
Mornings, in those pews, dreaming
Of girls and silver dollars.  So many.
Brown, sweet, warm, beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment