Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4: Parades, Bratwurst, Fireworks

Happy Fourth of July!

For those of my readers who are not from the United States, July 4 is the day we celebrate our independence.  (No offense to any person of British persuasion.)  In Small Town, USA, we have parades of police cars and dump trucks and fire engines, throw Tootsie Rolls at the kids, and listen to marching bands.  Then we barbecue hot dogs and bratwursts, cook corn on the cob, and cut up some watermelon.  At dusk, we gather in parks or by lakes and watch fireworks displays.

Where I live, they also hold alumni softball tournaments for the local high schools.  People who've moved away come home, and you can see friends and acquaintances you haven't seen in years.  At the parade I went to this morning, I talked to a girl I hadn't seen in close to 15 years.  I used to direct her in children's plays at the local community theater.  Seeing her with her two children and husband made me feel quite old.  But it was a good.

I'm getting ready to head out to tonight's community picnic and fireworks.  I'm sure I'll see some friends I haven't seen in a long time.  I'm also sure I'll eat some Kettle Corn.  That's my little July 4 tradition.

Saint Marty gives thanks today for parades and Tootsie Rolls and bratwurst and fireworks.

July 4th parade in my home town
P. S.  If you want to meet Saint Marty in person and hear him read some poetry, come to the Peter White Library in Marquette, Michigan, tomorrow night at 7 p.m.  I'm participating in a reading and panel discussion on poetry and writing as part of the U. P. Book Tour.  Don't miss it.  I don't make too many public appearances these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment