Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20: Nothin' to Shake a Stick At, New Cartoon

I didn't do nothin' to shake a stick at today.  Just a normal Saturday.  I had breakfast with my family and sisters, played with my son for a while on the playground, put my son down for a nap, went for a run, went to church.  I must sound like the most boring blogger in the world right now, but I am actually enjoying the lack of drama in my life.  I've lived a soap-opera existence for far too long.  I give thanks for the fact that my wife's bipolar seems under control, and with it her sexual and internet addictions.  Life is normal.

Of course, being a basically pessimisitc person, now that I've typed the paragraph above, I feel like I'm somehow daring God to do something to screw up my lovely boredom.  I try not to be a superstitious person, but I don't like saying things are going well for me.  It smacks of hubris.  I know my life can turn on a dime.  It's happened many times before.  For instance, the day after I defended my MFA thesis, I found out about my wife's sexual addiction.  The next year-and-a-half was pure torture.  I went from one of the best days of my life to one of the worst times in my life.  It happened in the space of a few hours.

Why am I typing this?  To remind myself to enjoy happiness, revel in the mundane, give thanks for the inconsequential.  Life can come along and bitch slap you back to hard reality in the flit of a hummingbird's wing.  Hug your old tennis shoe tonight.  A tornado may take it away from you tomorrow.

I have a new cartoon for you.  I think it's friggin' hilarious.

Saint Marty's going to go enjoy himself some Lawrence Welk now.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment