Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 25: No New Poem, Almost Done, "Mockingjay"

First, I have to apologize.  I promised a new poem for today.  I didn't get it done.  I sort of got wrapped-up in my reading of Mockingjay.  No, I didn't get the book finished, either, probably won't before tonight's Book Club meeting.  However, I'm far enough into it to speak about it intelligently.  As my daughter says when she's trying to get out of doing something, I promise to have a poem for you tomorrow.

I'm very happy with the fact that I'm almost done with the entire Hunger Games trilogy.  As many of you may know, I've had a hard time reading and finishing anything for quite a few months.  Even if it is a young adult series, I've actually read it, which is more than I can say for quite a few books I've started recently.

I am looking forward to the meeting tonight.  Book Club night is one of my favorite nights of the month, even when I don't have the book finished.  I enjoy the people.  I enjoy the food.  I enjoy the conversation.  I know that most of the people coming tonight have actually read the entire novel, which is amazing.  And I know that almost every member of the club is going to be there tonight.  When I look back, I can't believe that this little Book Club I started over six or seven years ago is still going strong.  Yes, we've lost members.  Yes, some months we've only had two or three people in attendance (including myself and my wife).  But we're still going strong.

I just got a phone call from my sister who usually babysits my son on Book Club night.  She completely forgot about it.  She asked me what I was planning to do with my son.  I said, "I guess I'll just put him to bed."  My sister has a really uncanny ability to make me feel guilty without saying a word.  If she actually shows up tonight to watch my son, I'm going to feel like I owe her a kidney.  It's the same every month.

Just one of Saint Marty's crosses to bear, along with salad and Nicholas Sparks.

Hmmm, what do you think of the social satire of this novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment