Friday, August 5, 2011

August 5: Vacation, Dedication of Saint Mary of the Snows, Christmas

Yes, this post is my last before I officially go on vacation.  Have no fear, I will continue to post during my vacation.  I plan to get to my blog at least once every day.  If I miss posting here or there, I'm probably out having fun, taking a nap, or reading a book.  I don't plan on taking any long trips.  If anything, my family and I will be taking a day trip somewhere.  My wife is insisting we go somewhere we haven't been before.  I have to think about it.

Today is the feast of the Dedication of Saint Mary of the Snows.  Basically, in the fourth century, the Virgin Mary appeared to a man named John and instructed him to build a church.  To indicate where she wanted the church built, she made it snow in the middle of an Italian summer.  The church got built.  Then it was added onto.  Then it was added onto again.  The current church, St. Mary Major, is also called Sancta Maria ad Praesepe (loosely translated, "Saint/Holy Mary at the crib").  Supposedly, the manger from Bethlehem is "preserved" in the church.

Relic of the manger in St. Mary Major

Obviously, when I read the above details, I started thinking about Christmas.  Snow, Mary, Bethlehem, a crib.  Those things don't make me think of National Ice Cream Day.  I'm not one of those people who hate thinking about Christmas out of the holiday season.  I have some friends who decorate their trees about two weeks before Christmas and are dragging their trees out to the curb on December 26.  That's not me.  I love Christmas.  I put up my tree the day after Halloween, and I leave it up until well into February.  There's something very comforting about sitting in my living room with the Christmas tree lights glowing, watching TV or reading or sleeping.  For me, it's a reminder of the blessings I have in my life.  My kids.  My wife.  My jobs.  My family and friends.  When my Christmas tree isn't there, it's easy for me to forget the gifts I have in my life.

Sing with me, "O, Christmas tree, O Christmas tree..."
So I really appreciate this feast day.  I like reflecting in August on the trappings of December:  snow, Mary, the stable, the crib, the shepherds, magi, the star.  At the beginning of my summer vacation, I give thanks for the time I have to spend with the people in my life.  I'm going to try to not think of how fast the next seven or ten days are going to pass.  I'm going to try to appreciate each moment for what it really is:  a gift to be opened and cherished.

Saint Marty wishes you a Merry Christmas (in August).

My kids last Christmas
P.S.  Don't forget the muffin naming contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment