Friday, September 23, 2011

September 23: Stolen Frog, Faith in People, Payday

Someone has stolen my frog.

As I was doing my weekly cleaning of the business office this morning, I noticed that one of my autumn decorations is missing.  It's a cute little beanbag frog that I've had for over ten years.  I don't think I would have noticed its absence had it not been for the fact that the thief also took a jar candle from the same area, but left behind the lid to the jar.

It may seem pretty silly to get upset over a stuffed frog, but it was one of my favorite decorations.  It made me smile every year I put it out.  And now it's in the hands of some dishonest person who will probably end up throwing it out in a couple months.  It pisses me off.  For over ten years, that frog has given me pleasure, and now it's gone.

I work in a public medical office.  People come in and out all day long.  I've lost my share of decorations and belongings over the years.  I've come to expect it.  When it happens, however, it makes me lose my faith in people just a little bit.  I don't understand how a person can come into an office for surgery or an x-ray (for help with a medical problem) and steal something.  When theft like this has happened in the past, I walk around for a few days resenting the patients, not trusting them.  I don't want to help them as much.  I get over it, eventually, but today I feel like posting a whole bunch of signs around the office, things like "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY SHIT!" and "IF YOU'RE THINKING OF STEALING SOMETHING, I HOPE YOU STAY SICK!"  That probably isn't an appropriate response, but I really loved that frog.

The only thing that's saving today from being a total annoyance is the fact that it's payday.  Of course, the money in my paycheck is already spent on bills, but, for a few short hours, I will have a little cash on hand and not feel quite so desperate, however fleeting the funds are.

I'm planning on getting a poem written today, so stay tuned for the next post.  The poem may be about a stuffed frog.  You never know.

Saint Marty says, "Thou shalt not take shit that doesn't belong to you."

R. I. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment