Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21: Saint Hilarion, Hermits, Solitude

Saint Hilarion is the patron saint today.  I like this guy.  Sure, he was holy, worked miracles, did all that normal, saintly stuff.  The thing that attracts me to Hilarion, however, is that he was in a constant state of retreat.  He lived in the desert in Egypt with Saint Antony for while.  Then he moved to Gaza and lived as an anchorite for 20 years.  For those of you who don't know, an anchorite is a religious hermit.  Of course, when you're a living saint, people tend to take notice, especially if you're curing people of fatal illnesses or levitating while you meditate.  Crowds of people started flocking to Hilarion.

So he fled to Egypt again.  Then to Libya.  Then to Sicily.  To Dalmatia,  To Cyprus.  Finally, to some "more deserted spot nearby."  He just wanted to be left alone.  It took one of his followers three years to find him once.  Three years.  All Hilarion wanted to do was lead a simple life, eat a few locusts, maybe some honey at the holidays, and pray.  He's like the Thomas Pynchon of saints.

I understand the desire to be left alone.  I think I've previously written a post or two about being a hermit.  Aside from a small group of friends, I could easily give up being a part of the throng of humanity.  Right now, as I sit at my desk typing, there are one or two people around me.  I have my earbuds firmly in my ears, my iPod blasting Christmas music to drown out the voices.  Oh, and my back is to everyone.  I think they get the message:  LEAVE ME ALONE.

Don't get me wrong.  I can kick back with the best of 'em.  This morning, however, I'm craving solitude.  I want to be Hilarion is some deserted spot.  Alone.  With a good book and some Bailey's Irish Cream mixed with hot chocolate.

Book Saint Marty a ticket to Cyprus.

For that long boat ride to Cyprus

No comments:

Post a Comment