Friday, October 28, 2011

October 28: Vampires, Antibiotic, and Christmas

Book Club was great last night.  The book for October was Seth Grahame-Smith’s Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.  It’s a silly read.  Grahame-Smith is kind of a genius at mashing together actual historical events with his fictional yarn to create a sense of reality that is compelling, in a weird, Da Vinci Code kind of way.  Plus, he’s making a mint off his little trick.  Everybody in my book club who read it really enjoyed it.  One lady was surprised she actually read it all the way through.  Note:  I’m refraining from putting on my elitist, English professor persona and writing disparaging criticisms.  Sometimes, I like to just have fun when I read, too.
Well, my daughter is on an antibiotic and was still feeling pretty punky last night.  I’m hoping the medicine will start working its magic by this morning so she can at least go to her dance class this afternoon.  Plus, we have dinner with our friends tonight, as well.  I made the brownie trifle for the occasion after I cleaned up from the book club yesterday.  We’ll see how the day pans out.
I will be glad to have a few days off.  I’m tired of people complaining around me in the office.  I just had to put my iPod earbuds in again and crank up the Christmas music because there’s a really negative person behind me, going through a laundry list of what’s wrong with the world.  I have a choice.  I can either join the bitch session or ignore it.  I’m choosing the latter.  Hence, Bing Crosby is singing “White Christmas” to me right now.
I have a few writing projects I need to get started on pretty soon.  The local public radio station at the university asks local writers to read original holiday reflections every year.  I’m sure the call is going to be coming for that pretty soon, so I have to work on something Advent-ish or Christmas-ish.  Then I have to write my annual Christmas poem; I give framed copies of the poem as presents to our close friends.  Currently, I don’t have any ideas for either of those projects.  Maybe I can combine them, write an essay about writing a Christmas poem.  That might be interesting.  I kind of like that idea.
You’ve heard it here first, disciples.  Now, Saint Marty just needs to get off his metaphorical ass and do some writing.
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be

No comments:

Post a Comment