Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19: Brother, To Play or Not to Play?, New Cartoon

I saw my oldest brother this morning.  He came up from Pennsylvania for rifle deer season.  He and his wife stayed at my dad's camp all week and hunted.  Not my idea of a vacation.  Outhouse and no running water and surrounded by, well, nothing but trees.  Anyway, they were leaving for home this morning, and they stopped by McDonald's where we were having breakfast.

It was really good to see them both.  They haven't been up our way for close to four or five years.  My brother's wife is one of the few in-laws I have who is actually normal.  I wish we'd had more time to visit, but it just didn't work out that way.  They wanted to kill deer, and I was working and trying to survive another week of teaching.  We all have our priorities.

There's supposed to be a huge snowstorm blowing in this afternoon and evening.  Another foot of snow, according to some reports.  My wife and I are supposed to go see a musical tonight at the university--A Year with Frog and Toad.  We have a babysitter lined up and everything.  (That's quite a feat these days for us.)  Now, we're wondering if we should risk the trip.  By the time the show lets out, the storm will be in full swing.  Perhaps we should just stay home in our PJs and watch the Thanksgiving episode of The Lawrence Welk Show.  We called our babysitter, and she said to just give her a call later if we decide not to go.  So the question is, to play or not to play?

I have a new cartoon for you this afternoon.  Yes, I'm getting in the Christmas spirit.  I put up my tree last night and watched the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol.  One of my traditions at the beginning of the holiday season is compiling a huge, unwieldy Christmas list for myself.  That is the inspiration for today's installment of Confessions of Saint Marty.  By the way, once I compile my list, I will be posting it, in case any of my disciples are at a loss for what to get me for Christmas.

Saint Marty needs to go check the weather now.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment