Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2: Day of the Dead, All Souls' Day

Today is the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) in Mexico and other Latin American countries.  On the Christian calendar, it's All Souls' Day.  In Mexico, people dress up as skeletons, eat skulls made out of sugar, hold skeleton parades, and visit cemeteries to leave goodies (candy, tequila, whatever) at the graves of the dearly departed.  All Souls' Day isn't quite as much fun.  No costumes.  No All Souls' Day chocolate souls.  No parades.  Just a church service where the people who died during the year are named, remembered, and prayed for.

Granted, the Day of the Dead sounds a little more colorful because of its pagan roots.  However, both versions of this day honor the memories of people who have gone to their eternal reward (or otherwise, if you get my meaning).  I find a day dedicated to honoring the dead very sacred, even if you are dancing around in a Jack Skellington costume.

Get me to a cemetery!
This past year, I've lost a few people from my life.  Most closely, I recently lost an aunt and an uncle.  However, throughout the year, many members of my church family have also passed.  And, at the university, I had two of my students die unexpectedly during the course of two semesters.  As I sit here, typing this post, I'm thinking about these individuals, calling up their faces in my mind, recalling the last time I saw or spoke with them, and saying a prayer for each.  I pray that they have found happiness and peace.  I pray that they left this world with no regrets.  I pray that God gave them a room with a view of the swimming pool.

Perhaps I'll have a drink to honor them tonight, as well.  I'm not a big fan of tequila, but a little spiked hot chocolate will do in a pinch.  Then I'll dig into my kids' Halloween candy and try to find something that approximates a sugar skull.  A Gummi eyeball?  A white jawbreaker?  I could carve a giant Tootsie Roll into the shape of a bone, I think.

All kidding aside, however or whatever you celebrate, the Day of the Dead or All Souls' Day, today you should remember what a gift life is.  Every morning your are able to get out of bed, brush your teeth, hug your significant other, and embarrass your children is a huge gift.  That's the great lesson of this holiday.  In the burial rite in the Book of Common Prayer, there is a line that reads, "In the midst of life, we are in death."

On this day that celebrates the dead, Saint Marty reaches out and gives thanks for the living.

I prefer my skulls to be almond-flavored

No comments:

Post a Comment