Friday, November 25, 2011

November 25: Chocolate Potluck, Black Friday, Sick Son

I'm probably one of the few people in the United States who looks forward to working the day after Thanksgiving.  There is one reason for this aberration in my psyche:  chocolate.  A lot of chocolate.

You see, about ten years ago, a coworker and I came up with the idea of having a chocolate potluck the day after Thanksgiving.  It seemed an appropriate way to lessen the sting of working on Black Friday, and it gave us an excuse to buy tons of our favorite chocolate morsels in which to indulge all day long.  It has grown steadily since that first time a decade ago.

Today, in honor of our tenth anniversary, I have brought in my chocolate fondue fountain and tons of delicacies to dip:  pineapple, apples, grapes, oranges, strawberries, pretzel rods, marshmallows, and candy orange slices.  In addition to the fountain, we have some Godiva, some Dove, some Hershey, some white fudge-covered Oreos (a personal favorite), and Holly Nog to wash it all down.  If your mouth isn't watering yet, you are not a human being and don't deserve to be reading this blog post.

Usually, we get our coworkers stopping in during the morning to sample our wares.  They hit the stores, and then they drop in to rejuvenate and re energize.  We have invited a few more people than usual, since it is such a special occasion.  Usually, at the end of the morning, there is still enough chocolate left to last well into February.  Thus, it's a win-win all 'round.

Behind me, at the moment, is an entire counter filled with chocolate.  As soon as I'm done typing this, I will be partaking in something brown and rich and sweet.

My three-year-old son is sick for about the third time this winter.  He was barking like a seal all last night.  I told my wife we need to take him to the doctor today.  He sounded a little hoarse all Thanksgiving.  Last night, he sounded like an 80-year-old smoker.

Well, chocolate awaits.  If you're in the neighborhood, stop by.

If you're not, Saint Marty will eat a white fudge-covered Oreo in your honor.

You know you're jealous

No comments:

Post a Comment