Wednesday, December 14, 2011

December 14: It's A Wonderful Post, Quotes, Themes

In keeping with a trend I started two posts ago, I've decided to try a little experiment.  From now until Christmas, I'm going to write posts based on lines from one of my favorite films of all time, It's A Wonderful Life.  For those of my disciples who dislike the film, I make no apologies.  It just happens to be one of the best movies ever made.  I've done themes before on my blog (remember my little poem-a-day theme during Lent?).  Thus, from here on out, each of my posts will begin with a quote from Frank Capra's motion picture.

This morning's quote comes from George Bailey himself.  He's just been given a second chance by Clarence and returns home to find the police there to arrest him.  He runs around the house, kissing and hugging everyone, and yells out, "Isn't it wonderful?  I'm going to jail!"

Yes, George is facing bankruptcy, scandal, possibly prison, and yet he's still celebrating.  He's learned how much his life has changed the world.  One person can make a huge difference, in small and big ways.

I find that thought really comforting.  At times, I don't feel like what I do every day (registering patients, assembling medical charts, teaching composition and literature) makes that much of an impact on anybody.  It's easy to get discouraged, especially when facing money problems, health issues, family strife.  I know I can't go around like George Bailey every moment of my life, giving thanks for everything that happens.  But maybe I should give it a try right now:

"Isn't it wonderful?  I haven't got enough money to pay the mortgage!"

"Isn't it wonderful?  I can't even afford to buy a Diet Mountain Dew!"

"Isn't it wonderful?  I'm twenty-five pounds overweight!"

"Isn't it wonderful?  I lost my co-worker!"

"Isn't it wonderful?  I'm flunking five people in my class!"

OK, I guess there's something a little freeing is saying things like that.  It's almost like handing your problems over to God and trusting things are going to work out for the best.  I do feel a little lighter.  Maybe there's something to it.  Giving thanks, even for your problems.

I think I'm going to try it for the rest of the day.

Saint Marty says, "Isn't it wonderful?  He has a shitload of grading to do!"

Do not pass go.  Go directly to jail.  And be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment