Thursday, December 22, 2011

December 22: Mary Hatch, Why in the World...

"Mary Hatch, why in the world did you ever marry a guy like me?"

Donna Reed--hubba, hubba
George Bailey says this to his wife after a particularly difficult day at the office.  He's been faced again and again with what he considers his "failures."  He's just turned down an offer from Mr. Potter of a very lucrative job.  He returns home, and gazes at Mary, the one choice he's made in his life that he considers "lucky."  It's sort of a heart-breaking moment.

I think I've made some terrible choices in my life.  Choices that have changed my life in very permanent ways.  I never finished my Ph.D.  I moved back to the U. P. instead of searching for a teaching job in more populated areas.  I'm a part-time adjunct and a part-time medical records clerk.  I barely make enough money to scrape by.  I'm friends with other people who are in much better places in their lives--better careers, better homes, better health insurances, better job security.  I know where George is coming from when he asks Mary this question.

I have a beautiful wife and two beautiful kids.  My family is the only thing that keeps me going.  My wife.  My daughter.  My son.  They're why I bust my ass six days a week with work.  I want them to have everything they deserve.  Sometimes I think they would be better off with a guy who had the ambition to complete his education and get a tenured job at a good university.  Instead, they get a guy who's one huge pleasure in life is writing blog posts and keeping track of his blog stats.  I sometimes do think, "Why in the world did my wife ever marry a guy like me?"

No, I'm not feeling sorry for myself.  It's more a question of good fortune.  I've had good fortune with my family.  While we've had our struggles with mental illness and addictions, we really do love each other.  I feel that every day I get home.  To put George's question another way, he's asking himself, "How did I ever get so lucky?" 

Saint Marty is the luckiest man this side of Bedford Falls, even if Jimmy Stewart gets to make out with Donna Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment