Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 10: Back to Work...Need...Caffeine...

Not much fortune in that cookie
Today, I go back to work.  The alarm clock went off at 4 a.m., and I wanted to die.  My mind is not firing on all pistons, and I know there's going to be a huge backlog of work to get through.  Now that I'm a business office of one again (thanks to the departure of my coworker), there's just no way to avoid the paper piles if I take some time off.

I sat with my fingers poised over the keyboard for almost a full two minutes just now.  I couldn't sort out my thoughts.  I just did it again for almost a minute.  It's like my brain is stuttering or stalling.  I'm sucking down a Diet Pepsi, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  Coherence is not coming easily to me at the moment.

The big question for me on this first day of work in the year 2012 is how to maintain my Christmas spirit.  I did listen to the all-Christmas-music radio station this morning as I was taking my shower.  I will listen to the same station on the way to the office.  Aside from that, I'm at a loss.  If I keep wishing my coworkers and the patients "Merry Christmas," they'll probably think I've had a few cups of egg nog before showing up.  Maybe I'll just sit at my desk, humming "Here Comes Santa Claus."  They can't get me committed for that.

Now my computer is stuttering, too.  It paused, mid-word, and had to think for about thirty seconds before it continued.  Maybe I should pour some Pepsi on its keys.

Saint Marty's in for a rough day:  Here comes Santa Claus.  Here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus Lane.  Vixen... 

No comments:

Post a Comment