Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11: Truman Capote, Paperwork, In My Element

Come on!  I can do better than Truman!
I had a coworker today tell me that I look like Truman Capote in my new glasses.  I was a little offended.  I replied, "I was going for George Clooney."  I'm wearing Ralph Lauren frames, for God's sake.  At the very least, I should be able to summon up a senior-citizen-age Cary Grant.

I spent most of the day, again, catching up on paperwork.  I'm almost done with one project, and then I have about 300 other projects to take its place.  With my job in the medical office, there is always some sort of project to complete, especially now, when I'm a business staff of one.

Later in the afternoon, another one of my coworkers commented on my computer bag for my laptop and George (my iPad).  "Oooh, look at the big-time professor," my coworker said. 

My bag is from the university and has the words "ADJUNCT FACULTY" embossed on it.  I told my coworker, "You know, when I'm on campus, I really feel like I'm in my element, like I'm in the right body for a change."

"I can tell," she said.  "You have a huge smile on your face."

And I was grinning like an idiot.  Unconsciously.  My whole body was relaxed for probably the first time in the day.  It was a really good feeling.

Of course, I quickly dived right back into my paperwork, and my shoulders became tighter than Ryan Gosling's abs.  However, for a few brief, shining moments, I had a vision:

Saint Marty, in his Ralph Lauren glasses, walking across campus, carrying a computer embossed with the words, "PROFESSOR SAINT MARTY."

No comments:

Post a Comment