Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2: Snow Storm, "The Wilder Life," Christmas All Year

"I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!" Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed.  "The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me.  Oh Jacob Marley!  Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this.  I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!"

The above quote from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol sort of inspires me.  Around January 2, the Christmas trees start disappearing, and everyone starts returning to their routines.  Gone are the feelings of peace and good will.  All that's left is a little egg nog in the fridge, maybe some frosted Christmas cookies, and a sense of loss.  That's where I am right now.  I don't want the holidays to be over. 

I think Charles Dickens had it right.  We should live every day like it's Christmas day.  One of my biggest pleasures at the moment is a local radio station that's still playing Christmas music, 24-7.  I love the fact that, the day after Christmas, the station didn't switch back to heavy metal or country.  I feel like Scrooge.  I want the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future to strive within me, all year long.  I'm hoping the radio station keeps playing Christmas carols from now on.  I'll never switch stations.

The forecasted snow storm has been  dumping snow on the Upper Peninsula all day long.  It started shortly after I wrote my post this morning.  It's still blowing and snowing, and it doesn't look like it's slowing down.  I saw a little blue sky a little while ago, but it was quickly replaced by near white-out conditions.  I think my daughter is hoping for another day of Christmas vacation tomorrow.  I'm not convinced she's going to get it, though. 

I'm currently reading January's book club selection.  It's by Wendy McClure, and it's called The Wilder Life.  It's about McClure's obsession with everything Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I'm loving it.  Of course, I love stories about obsession and literature, so it's right up my alley.  And it's a great book to read on a winter day.  I feel like I'm wrapped in a patchwork quilt while I'm lost in its pages.  I can hardly wait to get home and get back into it.  Currently, I'm sitting in McDonald's, freezing my butt off.  I'm hungry and a little tired.  I want to go chase Laura with McClure some more.

I'm going to try to remain in the Christmas spirit as long as I can.  Reading McClure's book is helping me with this.  I really believe that  Dickens was right.  Christmas isn't just a once-a-year moment to be packed up and stored away in the attic come January 1.  It's something we should all carry around with us always.  Try it out for a few days with me.  See how it works.

Saint Marty says, "God bless us.  Everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment