Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 31: Good Weather, Good Mood, Good Friend

The weather this evening was perfect. For the last day of January, the temperature was almost 35 degrees. The sun was out, and I could actually feel it warming my skin. The light reminded me more of an early-spring dusk than a middle-of-winter night. It was nearly 6 p.m., and it wasn't pitch dark. I could almost believe that spring is on the way. Almost. This is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I'm talking about.

I don't know why, but the sun and the warmth and the hint of thaw really put me in a good mood. I don't think I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. In fact, I sort of enjoy darkness and rain and snow (as long as I don't have to shovel it). I don't ever open the curtains in my house. I prefer to keep the blinds drawn in my office at school. My daughter thinks I'm a vampire. However, this evening, I felt like a tulip bulb in that sunlight. It was like I was going to break into bloom.

Now, just a few minutes ago, one of my best friends called to invite my wife and me to a concert this Friday. I haven't spoken to this friend for a long time (since before Christmas). Just hearing his voice on the phone made me happy. Our conversation just capped off a really pleasant night.

I know I'm sort of sounding like a devotion from Guideposts. I usually make fun of writers who compare themselves to flowers in sunlight. It's just not me. A little too precious. A little too Hallmarky. You'll have to forgive me.

Saint Marty promises he will be back to his cynical, sarcastic self tomorrow.

It's dangerous to be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment