Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14: Teaching, Loving, Losing

I had a great teaching day.  My lesson plan wasn't really that complicated.  I broke the class into groups and assigned each group three or four myths.  They had to identify things that confused them in their myths, and then they had to find the answers to their questions.  Simple.  And my students really got into it.  It was one of those teaching days that remind me why I love being in the classroom.

When I got home tonight, I had a great time with my family.  We had some spaghetti for dinner.  I gave my wife her Valentine's Day card.  She gave me hers.  I gave my son a bath and talked with one of my best friends on the phone.  Now, I'm sitting with my daughter on the couch, trying to finish my second blog.  To tell you the truth, I almost forgot to post.  When I get home, all I want to do is relax, be with my wife and kids, and shut the world out.  I think I could easily become agoraphobic.  I feel most myself, most comfortable within the walls of my house.  I'm surrounded by people who I love, and who love me.  Unconditionally.  They see me at my best, and they see me at my worst.

Bringing up the rear of the pack 
Sometimes, I feel like I'm losing the game of life.  You know, the one that tells you that you have to be a lawyer or doctor, own the biggest house, have a wife and 2.5 kids in order to be a success.  The whole struggle to pay the bills is wearing me down right now.  I usually go to bed feeling inadequate, like I haven't done enough with the hours I've been awake.  Today isn't any different.  I should have blogged three hours ago.  I should have read and prepared for teaching.  I should have completed a hundred other tasks.  This post pretty much represents the sum total of my ambition tonight.

Saint Marty is ready for bed.  So that he can get up at 4 a.m.  So that he can take a shower.  So that he can drive to work.  So that he can work.  So that he can teach.  So that he can go back to work.  So that he can drive home.  So that he can get his kids ready for bed.  So that he can put his kids to bed.  So that he can fall asleep in front of the TV.  So that he can go to bed.  So that he can get up and start the whole freakin' thing over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment