Monday, February 20, 2012

February 20: What Have I Done, Productive Day, Meetings

Excuse me while I get into a fetal position
OK, now that I posted this morning what I'm thinking of doing for Lent, I'm sitting here in a panic.  My first reaction, when I reread this morning's blog, was, "What in the hell have I done?!"  I'm never going to be able to write a chapter of memoir a week!  That's a lot of work.  Of course, last year, I never thought I'd be able to write a poem a day during Lent, and I did it.  On Ash Wednesday, it seemed Herculean in scope.  By Palm Sunday, I knew I could do it.  On Easter Sunday, I felt like I'd given birth (in a purely metaphoric manner, of course).

I'm in the same position right now.  Ash Wednesday is in two days.  I have to start writing and compiling my material.  Now.  By the end of Lent, I should have seven chapters of the memoir written.  Holy crap!  If I average ten to fifteen pages a chapter, that could be close to one hundred pages of prose.  Yeesh.  I say again, "What in the hell have I done?"

On the bright side, I've had a really productive day.  I set myself some pretty high goals to accomplish this morning, and I can proudly say that I'm ahead of the game right now.  By the time I hit the meetings I have to go to tonight, I should pretty much be done with all of my tasks.  That has rarely been happening for me recently.  In fact, that rarely happens for me at all.  (Yes, I'm patting myself on the back right now.  Nobody else is going to do it.)

I am spending my night in church, one meeting followed by another meeting.  It's my once-a-month meeting marathon.  It sort of makes me feel important.  On the other hand, I could get so much more done tonight if I didn't have to go to these gatherings.  But go I must.  (Yes, I writing like Yoda now.)  At the very least, there should be refreshments.  Maybe some cookies or cake.

Saint Marty needs to get busy and be even more productive.  And he'd like to say one more time, "What have I done?!"

2 comments:

  1. Keep talking like that and you're going to motivate me to blow some dust off one of the unfinished projects I have. Maybe it's not so bad that I've let some of them go temporarily. I'll come back to them with fresh eyes. There are two pretty solid ones I'm working on.

    I read an article once that explored the question about whether blogging actually helped writing habits or hurt them. Blogging takes time out of your day...but...it gets you writing.

    A blog is a pretty good writing project actually. If you're active enough with a blog, you can probably get more hits than some online literary journal. ...not that getting hits is what it's all about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the blog being a good writing project. It keeps me writing, even when I don't feel like writing. And it keeps me motivated to do something more, like poems or a memoir. Dust off those unfinished projects!

    Saint Marty

    ReplyDelete