Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26: Speak Comfort, Lost Work, Oscars, New Cartoon

"Jacob," he said imploringly.  "Old Jacob Marley, tell me more.  Speak comfort to me, Jacob."

I need some words of comfort right now.  Scrooge is begging Marley's ghost to give him some kind words, some hope.  I have no ghost to beg for help. 

I just tried to open the file that contained the pages of memoir I'd finished for today's post.  The file is empty, and I have no hard copy of the "Preface" on which I'd been working.  Eight or nine hours of writing is down the drain.  I can't find the work anywhere.  I have to start all over again.

Usually, I don't work on a computer first.  I write drafts of everything in my journal, and then I do the keyboarding.  I even followed this practice when I started blogging.  For the first year of my blogging life, I wrote each post in my journal, edited it, and then typed and posted it.  I don't do this anymore.  I just sit down a see what comes out of my fingers.

That's why I decided to work on my laptop for Project Memoir.  I wanted to see if I could actually write something completely on my computer.  Look where it got me.  I have no first chapter of my memoir to post, and I have to reconstruct all of my work from memory.  I'm pissed.

So, this first week of Lent, I'm a big Lenten loser.  I have a shit-load of catch-up to do because I trusted technology.  That won't be happening ever again.   From now on, I will be working primarily in my journal.

The Oscars are on tonight.  People are coming to my house to watch the show.  I have Scoop Fritos and cheese dip, Red Vines, and Diet Mountain Dew.  My sister-in law is bringing her artichoke dip.  My poet friend is bringing fruit salad.  I guess we have to have something to eat that's a little bit healthy.  We'll see by the end of the evening if I win my family's traveling Oscar trophy.  (Yes, folks, we take this crap seriously.)

I don't have much else to talk about this evening.  I'm pissed.  I'm a Lenten loser.  I will be stuffing my face with lots of unhealthy snacks and cheering for Billy Crystal tonight.

Saint Marty needs get to work in his journal now.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment