Monday, February 27, 2012

February 27: Trivial Conversation, Oscars, One Week

"How are you?" said one.

"How are you?" returned the other.

"Well!" said the first.  "Old Scratch has got his own at last, hey?"

"So I am told," returned the second.  "Cold, isn't it?"

"Seasonable for Christmas time.  You're not a skater, I suppose?"

"No.  No.  Something else to think of.  Good morning!"

Not another word.  That was their meeting, their conversation, and their parting.

Scrooge was the first inclined to be surprised that the Spirit should attach importance to conversations apparently so trivial; but feeling assured that they must have some hidden purpose, he set himself to consider what it was likely to be...

Of course, the two gentlemen Scrooge observes are, in fact, referring to Scrooge's death in the middle of a quick exchange on the street.  Scrooge doesn't know he is the "Old Scratch" to which they are referring.  He will eventually learn the meaning of their conversation, but not for a few pages.

I think we all go through life sort of like this.  We meet people at Wal-Mart or McDonald's or in a parking lot, and we have these kinds of mundane exchanges all the time.  There's not a lot of depth to them.  It's a momentary connection with someone, and then it's over.  As Dickens demonstrates in this little excerpt from A Christmas Carol, however, even the most trivial of conversations can carry significance.

My point this morning is that there really is no such thing as "trivial" human interaction.  Even the most superficial of meetings between people can have serious import.  I always try to remember this fact, whether I'm talking with the cashier at the Dollar Tree or the head of the English Department at the university.  Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and kindness.  I'm not saying I'm always successful at doing this, but I try.  Words have a lot of power.  They can hurt or heal.  Knock a person down or lift a person up.

Meryl and me, the big winners!  Suck it!
Last night, I hosted an Oscar party for family and friends.  We had a great time.  There was a lot of "trivial" talk and fun.  It was good to be with people I don't see on a frequent basis.  By the way, I won the competition by a nose.  I'd like to say I stomped the competition, but that would be unkind and childish.  Like I said, words can hurt, even when said in jest.  Therefore, this morning, I'll say it was a close contest, and I really respect the other people who were competing.

I will not say, "In your face!"  I will not do a victory dance every time I see somebody I beat.  I will not send gloating e-mails to my entire contact list.  (OK, I sent an e-mail to one person this morning.  That's all.)  I will not act superior to my friends and family.  I'll try not to.  I really will.  And I will not treat anyone I meet as less intelligent or charming or deserving of praise than myself.  I won't.  I promise.

This week is the last before spring break at the university.  All I have to say about that is, "Hallelujah!"

Saint Marty needs to go and act humble now.

No comments:

Post a Comment