Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 29: Capacious Breast, Leap Day, Snow Storm

"I am the Ghost of Christmas Present," said the Spirit.  "Look upon me!"

Scrooge reverently did so.  It was clothed in one simple deep green robe, or mantle, bordered with white fur.  This garment hung so loosely on the figure, that its capacious breast was bare, as if disdaining to be warded or concealed by any artifice.  Its feet, observable beneath the ample folds of the garment, were also bare; and on its head it wore no other covering than a holly wreath set here and there with shining icicles.  Its dark brown curls were long and free; free as its genial face, its sparkling eye, its open hand, its cheery voice, its unconstrained demeanour, and its joyful air.  Girded round its middle was an antique scabbard; but no sword was in it, and the ancient sheath was eaten up with rust.

Of all the ghosts of Christmas, I love this one best.  I know I'm not alone in this sentiment.  There's the sense of immediacy with this spirit, of joy and warmth, that's completely missing with the other two Yuletide specters.  Plus, the Spirit looks like a young, strapping, Victorian version of Santa Claus.  Of all the ghosts, Christmas Present would be the one voted "Class Party Animal" in the Haunted High yearbook.

Making a leap, but not too far
It's leap day.  February 29.  This whole twenty-four-hour period is a gimme.  Extra time to accomplish something extra.  I've always thought that you should do something unusual on leap day.  Something you wouldn't normally do, even if it's eating Lucky Charms instead of Cheerios.  You should step outside your box.  If you're normally crabby, be happy.  If you're normally loud, be quiet.  If you're normally shy, be outgoing.  That kind of thing.

Now, I'm not one that normally believes in being out of my comfort zone, but leap day only happens once every four years.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do to celebrate this twenty-ninth day of February.  Perhaps I'll eat something unusual.  Perhaps I'll volunteer at a soup kitchen.  Perhaps I'll try to avoid sarcasm all day long.

I'm just kidding myself with this line of thinking.  I'm not going to do anything out of the ordinary today.  I don't have unusual food in my refrigerator.  The soup kitchen thing isn't really appealing; I worked the clam chowder booth at a local Seafood Fest once and nearly vomited in the crockpot.  And sarcasm is simply part of who I am.  I don't even realize when I'm being sarcastic until someone points it out to me. 

At the moment, there's a huge snow storm blowing into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and it's caused virtually everything to be shut down:  local schools, the university, church events.  When I leave work today, I have no other obligations to fulfill.  I can go home, change into my pajamas, and watch American Idol.  The most unusual thing I will do tonight is try to stay awake until after Idol is over.

I think the Ghost of Christmas Present would love the concept of leap day.  I can imagine him walking around in his green robe, sprinkling everyone with kindness and good cheer.  Leap day should be like Christmas, I think.  I've never thrown a leap day party, but it's not a bad idea.  I could have everyone show up in somebody else's clothes.  I could ask them to bring a dish they've never cooked before.  Make them sit around and compliment each other all night.  At the end of the party, I could make everyone hug each other and promise to be kind.

That's does sound like something the Ghost of Christmas Present would enjoy.  However, it will not be happening this leap year for me.  Maybe in four years.  I'll have to start planning.  Today, however, I will put on a clean pair of pajamas when I get home.  I'll eat a pear instead of a bowl of Rice Krispies.  And I'll tell everyone in my house how much I love them.

Saint Marty is giving out free hugs for leap day.  Get in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment