Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February 8: Heroes, Kids, Mythology

Today, I tried to get my mythology students to talk a little bit about heroes.  We're wrapping up our reading of Ovid's Metamorphoses, and I wanted to get into a discussion of heroes, ancient and contemporary.

"Who are your heroes?" I said.

Blank stares.

"Who do you look up to?"  I said.

Blank stares.

"Why are you in college, studying the subject you're studying?"  I said.  "Who inspired you?"

Blank stares.

"Are you all in college just so you can get a degree and make a lot of money?"  I said.

Blank stares and some nodding.

I stood there staring at these kids. 

Finally, a guy in the back row said, "Isn't that why you're here?"

I thought for a few moments, choosing my words.  "Yes," I finally said, "that's exactly why I choose to be a part-time adjunct instructor in the English Department."  I looked around at each kid in the class.  "I'm in it for the money."  I let that sink in for a couple of seconds.  Then I said, "If the only reason you're here is to get a degree that will get you a job that will allow you to make a great deal of money, I really feel sorry for all of you."

Blank stares.

Saint Marty lost a little hope for the future this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment