Thursday, February 9, 2012

February 9: Mad-Libs, Rhyme, Nerves

I've spent most of the day working on my poetry lesson for the second graders tomorrow afternoon.  I had this huge idea of teaching them about rhyme and word play.  Sounds really good, doesn't it?  I mean, I've done lessons about simile and metaphor.  I've done lessons about color poetry.  I've done lessons about concrete imagery.  I just thought it would be fun to tackle sound and rhyme.

Sort of looks like me right now
Well, when I started putting it all together, it wasn't that simple.  I'm using Dr. Seuss' book If I Ran the Zoo, which is a good start.  Then I got stuck.  I couldn't figure an easy way to have the kids concentrate on language/words.  I ended up with a sort of mad-lib exercise that may be a little too advanced for second graders.  I'm hoping not.

Tonight I have to put together my visual aids.  Poster board stuff.  I don't mind doing it, but it's time consuming.  I'm hoping to get it done early, because I still have to work on my wife's resumes and cover letters for a couple of prospective jobs.  My nerves and anxiety are getting the better of me right now.

Saint Marty needs to relax a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment