Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2: Fragments, Past, Wrestling

He turned upon the Ghost, and seeing that it looked upon him with a face, in which in some strange way there were fragments of all the faces it had shown him, wrestled with it.

This little wrestling match occurs at the end of Scrooge's time with the Ghost of Christmas Past.  The last scenes this Spirit shows him are quite painful, and Scrooge has had enough.  The pain and loss of his past overwhelms him, and Scrooge turns on the ghost and physically battles him.  Scrooge forces the specter to leave.

I think we all have moments in our past we wouldn't want to re-experience.  I can think of quite a few myself.  I can't imagine a ghost that has fragments of all of the people from my past who've hurt me.  It's a truly terrifying prospect.  I wouldn't be afraid of the ghost as much as the psychological pain.  Obviously, Scrooge has not made peace with his past at this point in the story.  I don't think I've reconciled myself to a lot of my experiences , as well.  I'd be doing some ghost wrestling myself if I were Scrooge.

I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!  Uh, yeah, I am...
This morning, I'm trying to get a lot of work done.  I have a great big pile of tasks to complete.  None of them, however, has to do with the ghosts of my past.  Thank God.  I'll leave the ghosts for tonight, when I'm used to those kinds of darker moments of reflection.  Sometimes the ghosts of the past can be more terrifying than the ghosts of future.  And there ain't no Ghostbuster you can call.

Take Saint Marty's word for it.

1 comment:

  1. I've been spending time with the ghosts lately myself. It takes my mind a while to realize that my mind is doing this. Some of the stuff I've read said: acknowledge these thoughts as they come, embrace them even, then let them go, don't follow them. They come back around again, and we have to let em go again.

    These things were obvious to me, even as I read them. But in reading them, and re-reading them, they reactivate for me.

    And anyway, ghosts can walk through walls...you can't follow them very far (unless you carry around a sledge hammer to break through the walls with).

    ReplyDelete