Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 25: Book Club, Project Memoir Tomorrow, New Cartoon

Spent the day cleaning my house, cooking chicken drumsticks, and reading.  My book club met today.  We usually meet on the fourth Thursday of every month.  This month, however, we had the author of the month's book join us.  John Smolens is a friend and colleague of mine from the university.  He teaches on Thursday nights this semester.  Hence , the matinee performance today.

We read The Schoolmaster's Daughter, John's most recent novel.  It's set in Revolutionary War Boston, just before and after the Battle of Bunker Hill.  It has all of the ingredients that make his books so great:  strong characters and setting, violence, a little sex, betrayal, suspense.  John's stuff is just so friggin' readable and smart.  I love it.  He makes me want to write.  That's why he's such a great instructor, as well.

Well, I have a lot of leftover drumsticks, but the get-together was very pleasant, and John was as gracious and fun as ever.  I highly recommend The Schoolmaster's Daughter.  I'm not a big Revolutionary War fan, but this book kept my interest.  I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I have every intention of finishing it.  I have to see if the British or Americans win the war.

Obviously, I don't have a new installment of Project Memoir ready to go tonight.  I'm hoping to have the next section done tomorrow.  I'm a huge Lenten loser this year.  I should be punished.  I say that because I'm Catholic, and we're big on guilt.  I also say that because I like getting spanked.

Therefore, bear with me.  Project Memoir Part 4 is coming tomorrow.  Or the next day.  Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.  Hopefully that's specific enough for you.

Saint Marty is waiting for his punishment now.  He's been a bad boy.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment