Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18: Haunted, Marley's Ghost, Being Observed

"You will be haunted," resumed the Ghost, "by Three Spirits."

Yes, a short and sweet quote from the Ghost of Jacob Marley this morning.  Jacob is informing Scrooge of the impending haunts by the Spirits of Christmas.  Scrooge, understandably, isn't too thrilled with the prospect.

This morning, or this afternoon, the medical office in which I work will be haunted by three (or four or five) visitors from the health care organization that is buying the hospital that currently owns us.  Now, when I say "owns," I don't mean in the indentured servant or plantation slave way.  However, when these Health Care Spirits come strolling through my department this morning or afternoon, I will be in full "yes, sir"/"no, sir" mode.  My momma didn't raise no fools.

These kinds of walk-through observations make me quite nervous.  Even though I'm doing everything properly, following all of the rules, I always feel a little judged.  I know that if any of the Health Care Spirits asks me a question, I will be on the defensive, wondering if I've done something wrong.  It will be all I can do not to fall on my knees and beg, "Please, don't fire me!  I'll do better!  I swear I will!  The Spirit of your health care organization will thrive within me all the year!"

Perhaps I'm being melodramatic.  I have been accused of that.  I'm not taking any chances, however.  This is one Cratchit who can't afford to lose his situation.

Saint Marty is on his best behavior.

The guy at the computer sort of looks like me...

No comments:

Post a Comment