Tuesday, April 24, 2012

April 24: Feeling Punky, Motrin, Student Praise

I've been feeling pretty punky most of the day.  I was absolutely exhausted this morning.  I could have put my head down on my desk and fallen asleep for a couple of hours.  I think I had a fever, as well.

This afternoon, I took an 800 mg Motrin, and, let me tell you, I could actually lift my head up after a half hour without my eyes feeling like they were going to explode in my sockets.  I feel so much better, even though I'm still a little tired.

I had my students do my classroom evaluations this afternoon.  One of my students, a smart, young guy, told me at the end of class, "Dude, I gave you the best class evaluation I've ever given in my entire life.  I'm not fuckin' kidding."

I thanked him for being so kind.

"No," he said, "you don't get it.  I told them they should hire you as a full-time professor."

For a moment, I thought about the current contract negotiations going on at the university.  I thought about the threats the administration is making about cancelling the adjunct e-mail accounts and repossessing our laptops.  I thought about the fact that I could never survive on the salary the university is currently paying me.  I smiled at my student and said, "From your laptop to President X's ears."

"Dude," the student said, "I'll call the fuckin' president of the university up and tell him personally.  Do you want me to do that?  I'm serious."

And he was serious.  I could tell.  It made me feel like I've actually made a difference in his life.

Saint Marty actually did some larnin' this semester.  Did you hear that, President X?
Them's words to live by

No comments:

Post a Comment