Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18: Rain, Poetry, and Pumpkins

It has been storming all day long.  Each time I looked out a window, the rain was pouring down.  I don't mind so much when I'm stuck inside all day long.  Plus, I planted some pumpkin sprouts in my backyard on Friday afternoon.  From everything I read about growing pumpkins (yes, I actually did a little research), pumpkins need two things in abundance to flourish:  water and sunlight.  Well, those pumpkins probably drowned today.

While I was putting medical charts together at work, I also managed to watch City Lights with Charlie Chaplin.  I'm using that movie in my Intro to Film class this fall, and I found it on YouTube.  I had seen it a looooong time ago, but I barely remembered it.  Now that I've reacquainted myself with it, I have to say that I think it's Chaplin's best film.  The final scene, with the slow fade to darkness, is heartbreaking and ambiguous and sublime.  I can't believe I actually forgot it.

For the rest of the day, I'm going to be working on my new poem, which is turning into a behemoth.  I think.  Who knows?  I may finish it and decide that the only thing worth saving is the first line.  It's happened before.  In the mean time, enjoy the final moments of City Lights.  It's visual poetry.

Saint Marty needs a hankie to watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment