Thursday, June 7, 2012

June 7: Mortgage Refinance, Celebration, Run

Last night, I got a registered letter from the bank that holds my mortgage.  I nearly had a coronary.  I thought it was a foreclosure notice or something.  It looked a little too official, a little too important.  I didn't open it for almost ten minutes.

When I opened it, I found a letter offering me a fixed lower interest rate on a refinance.  Here's the kicker:  the letter said I don't have to have my house appraised and I don't have to pay any processing fees or closing costs.  In fact, I don't have to pay anything.  Since it already holds my mortgage, my bank is waiving all of the normal fees and costs.  I know, I know.  It sounds too good to be true.

Well, I called the bank this morning.  I was on the phone with them for close to half an hour.  I asked tons of questions, and, by the time I hung up the phone, I had a new mortgage in the works.  My mortgage payment is dropping by close to a hundred bucks.  I did a little jig of celebration when I got off the phone.

Now, I sitting here at my laptop, second-guessing my decision.  I've found no reason to doubt the good fortune of this refinance.  It's just my nebbishy, Woody Allenishy nature.  I tend to look for the dark cloud of every silver lining.  I need just to be happy about this opportunity.  Think of it as answered prayer.

I'm going for a run tonight while my daughter is at dance rehearsal.  I'm feeling good about myself and my life right now.

Maybe Saint Marty is turning over a new leaf...Nope.  Saint Marty is still looking for that dark cloud.

Call me Saint Nebbish

No comments:

Post a Comment