Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11: B.A.D.

Every person I have met today--coworkers, patients, mail carriers, old women in need of directions to the bathroom, old men in need of directions to the urologist--has had a bad atiitude.  Therefore, I have christened this day "Bad Attitude Day" (B.A.D. for short).

I am not immune to this malaise, either.  Bad attitudes are contagious.  Being around pissed-off people pisses me off.  I have been trying to maintain a positive disposition.  (I know, I know.  By nature, I'm a very contrary person, more of a pessimist than an optimist.  Right now, I can't stand being around people, because they're all doing things that irritate me.)

So, on this B.A.D., I have been hiding, avoiding conversations, and purposely ignoring individuals.  It is now late afternoon, and I have almost made it through the entire day without raising my voice or being sarcastic.  At the moment, my friend (a serial dieter) is discussing her newest eating regimen behind me, and I'm holding my tongue in check.  I'm finding it very difficult not to say something disparaging.

I want this B.A.D. to be over.  I want to get in my car and go home and not have to speak to another person for the rest of the day.  That, obviously, is not going to happen.  There are people who live in my house with me--my wife and kids.  I just hope I can shake off the B.A.D. before I reach my driveway.

Saint Marty needs a little injection of good humor.  Or a really strong gin and tonic.


Say it with me, "Screw 'em!"


No comments:

Post a Comment