Friday, July 20, 2012

July 20: Cold Roast, Sir Roger de Coverly, Quiet

There were more dances, and there were forfeits, and more dances, and there was cake, and there was negus, and there was a great piece of Cold Roast, and there was a great piece of Cold Boiled, and there were mince-pies, and plenty of beer.  But the great effect of the evening came after the Roast and Boiled, where the fiddler (an artful dog, mind!  The sort of man who knew his business better than you or I could have told it him!) struck up "Sir Roger de Coverly."  Then old Fezziwig stood out to dance with Mrs. Fezziwig.  Top couple, too; with a good stiff piece of work cut out for them; three or four and twenty pair of partners; people who were not to be trifled with; people who would dance, and had no notion of walking.

I have no idea what "negus" is.  Cold Roast doesn't sound too bad, but Cold Boiled sounds a little disgusting.  I've never heard the tune "Sir Roger de Coverly," and I dislike beer, preferring a good Tanqueray and tonic instead.  But I love this description of Fezziwig's Christmas party.  I love the Victorian food details, even if they do foster thoughts of salmonella (Cold Boiled meat--I don't think so!).  I love knowing the title of Victorian dance music.  I kind of picture "Sir Roger de Coverly" as being the "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" or "Macarena" of Scrooge's generation.

I like a good time as much as the next person.  I certainly enjoy good parties (and Fezziwig seems to know to to throw a good party).  However, this weekend, I'm just happy that I don't have anything to do.  No parades to watch.  No concerts to play in.  No fireworks to attend.  Just a normal weekend.  Maybe I'll get some reading done.  I'll probably go running a couple of times.  I have a couple church services to play at.  But, no huge event that involves crowds of people (unless I decide to go see The Dark Knight Rises, which I don't really have the money for).  Nope, I don't plan to do anything.  Fezziwig would be sorely disappointed in me.

Then again, my favorite time at Christmas is not when the kids are running around in fits of yuletide greed.  It's not sitting in a crowded church, singing Christmas hymns.  It's not even playing with any new toy I may receive as a gift.  No, I prefer the quiet times, the "in-between" times.  I prefer the times when the gifts are wrapped and the cookies are baked.  Before I have to head off to the relatives or get dressed up for worship services.  I like to just sit down and take a deep breath.  Stare at the Christmas tree.  Listen to some quiet Christmas music.  Peace and solitude in the middle of all the craziness.

We have reached the silent time of summer.  After July 4, things slow way down.  The days get longer, and the nights get calmer.  This is the time of summer I enjoy the most.  Nothing is pressing in my schedule.  I don't have any big plans until school resumes at the end of August.  It's an "in-between" time, and I plan to take full advantage of it. 

Don't expect to see Saint Marty dancing to "Sir Roger de Coverly" on his lawn in the next few weeks.

Anyone want a swig of negus?

No comments:

Post a Comment