Friday, August 17, 2012

August 17: Christian Cheer, Mind or Body, Feeling Deprived

"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.  We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.  What shall I put you down for?"

Of course, Scrooge's answer to this question is "nothing."  He pays taxes which support social institutions that "scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body."  That's enough for him.  The Poor need to be satisified with almost enough.  Not just satisfied.  The Poor need to be thankful for it. 

I went to a birthday party last night for my nephew.  My sister- and brother-in-law own a beautiful house in the middle of a secluded woods.  The word "beautiful" doesn't even begin to describe their home.  It's got four bedrooms.  One for my nine-year-old niece.  One for my seven-year-old nephew.  One master bedroom.  A guest bedroom.  There's also two bathrooms, one with a bathtub big enough to hold a wedding reception in.  A laundry room, and a full basement.  That doesn't even touch the backyard or the beach area on the river.  Yes, it's a beautiful house.

If I sound jealous, I sort of am.  I say "sort of" because I'm not a big fan of living in the middle of a forest.  I'm jealous of the space.  My eleven-year-old daughter and three-year-old son are still sharing a bedroom.  My wife and I have a bedroom that's the size of a walk-in closet.  Our bathroom is smaller than our refrigerator, and our kitchen is a hallway.  It's small.

I don't like feeling deprived, but every time I go to my sister- and brother-in-law's house, I can't help it.  Of course, they work hard for what they have.  Both have good jobs, and they have struggled with mortgage and heating payments.  I know all that.  However, I still felt like Cousin Pearl visiting Granny and Jed Clampett last night.  I'm tired of having to go out onto the front porch to change my socks.

I know I should be thankful I have a home.  I know I should be thankful I have a mortgage payment I can afford.  Two semi-functioning vehicles.  Healthy children.  A wife with a mental illness that's under control.  I have been blessed in many ways.

Yet, I take affront at Scrooge's attitude that the Poor should be grateful for their lot in life, that my daughter should be happy to share her bedroom with her brother, that I have a bedroom that's a closet and storage shed.  I should be grateful.  I am grateful and not grateful at the same time.  I'm tired of having to feel deprived AND grateful simultaneously.

Saint Marty needs a bigger house or a bigger sense of gratitude.

I'd like to go swimming in the see-ment pond!

No comments:

Post a Comment