Wednesday, August 29, 2012

August 29: A Powerful Speaker, Parliament, Ann Romney

"Let me hear another sound from you," said Scrooge, "and you'll keep your Christmas by losing your situation.  You're quite a powerful speaker, Sir," he added, turning to his nephew.  "I wonder you don't go into Parliament."

Scrooge is obviously talking to Fred, his nephew, who has just made an impassioned defense of Christmas.  Scrooge is impressed with Fred's speaking abilities, and he pays Fred this small compliment, even though he disagrees with Fred's point of view.  Scrooge recognizes good rhetoric when he hears it.  It just takes four ghosts and a near-death experience to change his mind about the holiday.

Last night, I was flipping through the local TV channels.  Practically every station was broadcasting from the Republican National Convention.  If you are a constant reader of this blog, you will know my particular take on politics in the United States.  I can sum it up with four words:  Republicans bad, Democrats good.  The world "liberal" is not a bad thing.  It calls to mind generosity and charity of heart.  When I go to a friend's house for dinner, I hope my friend is liberal with the wine and steak.  Liberality is a good character trait.

So TV last night was just an exercise in frustration for me.  I tried to zip past most of the channels carrying news coverage of the goings-on in Tampa, but I did stop and listen to Ann Romney speaking.  From the couple minutes I watched, I gathered that Ann was trying to convince me that Mitt is just an "ordinary" family guy, like my dad or grandpa.  Sure, Mitt is ordinary, if ordinary means living the life of a millionaire since the day you were born.  I don't know about you, but I don't have elevators in my house to move my cars around.  I think that the only time Mitt Romney worries about working class people is when working class people are cutting his lawns for minimum wage (or less).

Ann Romney might be a "powerful" speaker, but she's not going to convince me that her husband knows what it's like to worry about paying his bills.  Ann seems like a nice lady, but she should stick to riding horses.  Leave the fate of ordinary people to someone who's eaten Ramen noodles for dinner once or twice.

That's just the way Saint Marty sees it.

Ann stands by her millionaire

No comments:

Post a Comment