Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 1: In a Jiffy, Overtake, New Cartoon

His hat was off, before he opened the door; his comforter too.  He was on his stool in a jiffy; driving away with his pen, as if he were trying to overtake nine o'clock.

Yes, Bob Cratchit is late to work the day after Christmas, and he charges into the office as if he can overtake the time he has missed.  Of course, Scrooge is hoping to catch Bob like this--hurried, flustered, terrified.  Scrooge has a sense of humor.  He wants to give his clerk a little bit of a hard time before he reveals his true intentions.  Bob is expecting to be sacked (I think that's the British term for getting kicked out on your ass from your job).

I've had a pretty hectic week with lots of turmoil/upheaval in my job situation.  It hasn't been pleasant, to say the least.  I still have a job, for which I'm thankful.  I still have health insurance, for which I'm thankful.  But, on Thursday and Friday, I felt a little like Bob Cratchit in the above paragraph, working on the edge, afraid that, at any moment, Scrooge was going to walk into my office and relieve me of my situation.

This morning, I volunteered at a marathon/half marathon being run in Marquette, Michigan.  I was the bus guide.  That means, when anxious runners approached me, I said something like, "Hi, I'm Julie McCoy, your cruise director.  Please step onto the bus, and it will take you to your destination."  It was a long two hours.  I was not made to be in the hospitality industry.  I got a teeshirt and a Frisbee out of the deal.

This whole weekend is going to feel a little like I'm trying to overtake the clock.  Tomorrow, I have to play at a Blues Festival, and that will take a good portion of my morning and afternoon.  I'm not going to get a whole lot of relaxation in.  Maybe, on Monday, I'll take an hour or so to just decompress.  Aside from that, I will be at my desk, driving away with my pen, trying to overtake the clock.  I know, when Tuesday morning arrives, I will be ready for another couple of days off.  I dislike weekends like this--all work and no play.

Saint Marty needs to be independently wealthy.  He wonders if there's a job listing for playboy millionaire.  He'll have to check the classifieds.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment