Thursday, September 27, 2012

September 27: Work, Work, and More Work

Yes, it has been a long day of work.  I haven't really had a chance to take a deep breath all day long.  As soon as I completed one task, another task took its place.  I'm not even done right now.  I just decided to stop.  I'm a little exhausted.  My brain feels worn out, the way my legs feel after a long, hard run.  But I'm not experiencing the sense of satisfaction I usually have after a run.  I'm tired.  Period.  In fact, I just shut my eyes and dozed off for a few seconds.  That's bad.

I have my book club meeting at my house this evening.  We read John Irving's new novel, In One Person, this month.  It's about a bisexual man growing up in the 1950s and coming to terms with sexual identity and confusion.  There's a transgender librarian and a cross-dressing grandfather.  There's wrestling and a confused writer.  It's pretty much a standard John Irving novel.  He even sends his character to Amsterdam.  If the book had a brother and sister having sex with each other, plus a retired circus bear, it would be The Hotel New Hampshire.  Don't get me wrong.  I love John Irving.  I think it would be a blast to teach a graduate level class on his novels.  There's all kinds of confusion and sex and weird violence.

That's what I'm going to be doing with my evening:  discussing sexual identity and transgender men.  That and home-made chicken noodle soup is my definition of a perfect evening.

Saint Marty's excited for a little literary interaction tonight.

A perfect book to end a busy day

No comments:

Post a Comment