Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 4: Little Bob, Don't Be Grieved, Hurting Person

She hurried out to meet him; and little Bob in his comforter--he had need of it, poor fellow--came in.  His tea was ready for him on the hob, and they all tried who should help him to it most.  Then the two young Cratchits got upon his knees and laid, each child a little cheek, upon his face, as if they said, "Don't mind it, father.  Don't be grieved!"

Poor Bob is grieving the death of Tiny Tim in this little passage.  Scrooge watches as this father comes to terms with the loss of his little boy.  It's the saddest moment in the entire novel, one that caused readers a great deal of distress when the book was first released.  Tiny Tim was so beloved that Scrooge had to add a line at the end of the novel to assure his audience that Tim survives:  "...and to Tiny Tim, who did NOT die..."  Even so, Bob's sadness at this juncture in the narrative is very difficult to face.

I have a person in my life who is really hurting this morning.  He's struggling with some job issues.  I gave him a phone call just before he left for work to offer some words of encouragement, and he got quite choked up.  My heart broke for him.  If I could have given him a hug over the phone, I would have.  Instead, I just had to offer verbal support.  The whole conversation left me feeling quite helpless and angry.  After I hung up, I said a little prayer for him.

I'm asking anyone who reads this post to say a prayer for this person.  He needs love and positive thoughts.  Like Bob, he needs the uplift of family and children and friends.  When someone close to me is hurting, I feel powerless.  I wish I could reach in and fix the problems that exist.

However, Saint Marty is going to leave that up to Someone Who can make a difference.  Amen.

Say a prayer for my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment