Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19: "Carol" Dip Monday, Classes for Next Semester, Hope

I have to make a phone call to the head of the English Department at the university this morning.  He sent me an e-mail about classes for next semester.  I'm hoping for another two sections of Introduction to Film.  However, I am a pessimist.  So, I am preparing for the worst.  I'm not exactly sure what the worst would be.  Perhaps Technical and Report Writing.  That is not an exciting class.  It's a good class.  Very useful.  It may even be the most useful writing class offered by the English Department.  However, having taught it many semesters in a row, I have burned out a little on resumes and cover letters and progress reports and proposals.

Plus, I've been a little spoiled the last few semesters.  Introduction to Mythology.  Good Books.  Introduction to Film.  I have had it good.  I can't remember the last time I've had to grade a paper.  I understand why the full-time professors avoid composition classes like herpes.  They are simply no fun compared to sexier subjects like film and poetry and fiction.

My question for Carol Dip Monday should be pretty obvious:

Will I be offered Good Books or Mythology or Film classes to teach next semester?

And the answer from Chuck Dickens is:

When he roused himself from his thoughtful quest, he fancied from the turn of the hand, and its situation in reference to himself, that the Unseen Eyes were looking at him keenly.  It made him shudder, and feel very cold.

Wow, that's not a very hopeful answer.  In fact, there is no hope in that little passage at all.  Unseen Eyes.  Shuddering.  Coldness.  That pretty much describes teaching Tech Writing.

Saint Marty better dust off his red pen.

I hope it hasn't dried up

No comments:

Post a Comment