Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November 27: Counting-House, Toys for Tots, Saint James of the March

Once upon a time--of all the good days in the year, on Christmas Eve--old Scrooge sat busy in his counting-house.

As far as I can tell, Scrooge lends money for a living.  I would like to say he's a loan shark, but there's simply not enough information in the novel for me to get a good idea about Scrooge's business.  There's one scene near the end of the book in which a poor couple is stressing over a debt.  It's a horrible scene.  The woman, at one point, asks her husband, "We are quite ruined?"  Scrooge is obviously the source of his stress.

I understand the kind of desperation the woman is expressing.  Money has been tight for my family.  I have never had to go to someone like Scrooge for my finances.  Thank goodness.  I have always somehow been able to pay my bills.  It's been difficult at times, but God has always provided us exactly what we've needed.

November 26 is the feast day of Saint James the March.  Among the things James did in his life was establish pawnshops to help the poor borrow money at very low rates.  He cared about the Bob Cratchits and Tiny Tims of the world.  He did a lot of other things, as well.  One story tells of how he converted over 50,000 people to Christianity with a single sermon.  Scrooge could have learned a lot from James the March.

This Thursday, I'm participating in a benefit Toys for Tots concert.  It's the second year my wife's church has sponsored the event.  My praise band is going to be performing.  I'm not comparing myself to James.  That would be the height of hubris.  James was the ambassador for popes.  I play keyboard in a Christian rock band.  But, like James, I'm using one of my gifts to help my neighbors.  James tried to make a difference in the world.  Scrooge eventually makes a difference in his world.

Saint Marty is trying to make a difference, as well, one song at a time.


I'm trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment