Sunday, December 9, 2012

December 9: Best Christmas Movie, "It's A Wonderful Life," New Cartoon

I've already written about one of my favorite holiday films--A Christmas Story--earlier this week.  Today, on My Favorite Things Sunday, I'm going to write about my favoritest Christmas movie of all time.  (Yes, I know "favoritest" is not an actual word, but I'm not on active English Department duty at the moment.)  Ralphie and company take second place to this film.  So does Will Ferrell in his green elf suit, and Tim Allen in his Santa outfit.  Nope, the greatest Christmas movie of all time is about a man living in a small town, struggling to pay his bills and make his mark in the world.

Yes, I am talking about Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life.  At this time of year, there's nothing better than watching Jimmy Stewart praying on that icy bridge.  George and Mary Bailey.  Clarence the angel.  Mr. Potter.  There's a reason why this film is ranked as the number one inspirational movie of all time by the American Film Institute.  I defy anybody to watch it and not be reduced to a puddle of tears by the time the credits start rolling at the end.

Sometimes, I can fall into a George Bailey frame of mind.  I feel like a failure when I'm around my colleagues at the university, especially colleagues who are younger than me and have full-time, tenure-track jobs.  I understand George's jealousy of his rich friend Sam.  I feel like a failure when grad students get published in literary magazines that have rejected my poems numerous times.  George's brother moves away from Bedford Falls, goes to college, and wins the Congressional Medal of Honor.  It's easy to feel sorry for yourself, to feel abandoned.

It's A Wonderful Life reminds me that there are other ways to be rich.  I am rich in family.  I am rich in friends.  I am rich in love and respect.  In fact, I'm probably the richest man in town.

This Christmas Eve, Saint Marty might just run down Main Street, yelling, "Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!"

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment