Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14: First Day of Class, "Rye" Dip Monday, Poem Question

I'm sitting in my office at the university, waiting to head off to teach my first class of the semester.  It has been a very nice Christmas break, but it is time to get back into the trenches.  I feel rested, relaxed, and ready.  Having these last two weeks of vacation has really helped my frame of mind.  While I'm not looking forward to getting up at 4 a.m. tomorrow to work at the medical office, I really have a sense of calm today.  Usually, going back to school and work in January is like getting my appendix removed and a root canal on the same day.  Not this time.

Well, the trip to Green Bay was nice.  Lunch at the Olive Garden was delicious.  Shrek the Musical was delightful.  The trip back after the show was a little stressful because of snow and wind.  We arrived home around 11 p.m., just in time for me to see Daniel Day Lewis win the Golden Globe for Best Actor for Lincoln.

It is Monday, and, therefore, it is time for a Rye dip.  There's not a whole lot on my mind today.  As I said above, I'm pretty relaxed.  However, I always have some fear or worry lurking in the back of my psyche.  Everybody does.  So, my question for the great book of Salinger is:

Will I publish poems this semester in some good literary journals?

And the answer from Holden and company is:

...It's a funny thing about girls.  Every time you mention some guy that's strictly a bastard--very mean, or very conceited and all--and when you mention it to the girl, she'll tell you he has an inferiority complex.  Maybe he has, but that still doesn't keep him from being a bastard in my opinion...

That's Holden talking about the girl he loves, Jane.  Jane went out with a guy Holden considers a phony (surprise, surprise), and Jane tells him the guy has an inferiority complex.  Holden doesn't buy that explanation, of course. 


So how does that passage apply to my question?  Well, I can say that I'm usually not very confident about my poems.  I look at the poetry currently being published and think, "This is crap.  I can write better than this in my sleep."  But I usually don't follow through in sending any of my work out.  And that's my answer.  I need to get over my inferiority complex and send my poems out to get published.  I will see myself in print this year.

If phony bastards can do it, so can Saint Marty.

Good day for a Rye dip

No comments:

Post a Comment