Tuesday, February 12, 2013

February 12: Waking Up on the Wrong Side

I woke up this morning on the wrong side of the bed.

I've always wondered where that phrase came from.  I thought it had something to do with falling out of bed because you're sleeping on a side that is unfamiliar to you.  I've also thought it had something to do with getting drunk and waking up with somebody you don't know.  Perhaps it refers to waking up too early or too late.

Whatever the source of this phrase, I can honestly say that I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed today.  I was in a horrible mood for most of the a.m.  Everybody was ticking me off.  The most innocent questions and requests from people instilled an urge in me to make the questioner or requester cry.

Things have gotten better this afternoon.  My compulsion to inflict pain has subsided.  It took quite a few hours, however.  I'm not sure what kind of mood I'm going to be in when I hit the classroom to teach.  Thank God all I have to do is pop Pulp Fiction into the DVD player and press play.  I think that the film's blood and profanity will improve my disposition, as well.

Perhaps Saint Marty needs to do some deep breathing.  Or kick a puppy.

See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment