Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19: If It Ain't Rain...

When I played the Stage Manager in the play Our Town in high school, I remember one line in particular.  I'm pretty sure it was said by an actor playing a dead towns person, and, in a cast of horny high schoolers, it usually caused a wave of dirty snickers.  Imagine me, standing in costume as the Stage Manager (hat and suit coat and pipe and glasses), listening with a straight face as somebody said, "If it isn't a rain, it's a three-day blow..."

Every night, I had to hear that line, and every night, I could hear my classmates laughing backstage.

The reason I'm thinking about that line today is the weather.  When I came to work this morning, it was snowing a little bit, and the roads were a slightly drifted over.  Not bad.  Well, all the schools closed down, and the university where I teach has just canceled afternoon and evening classes.  Each time I look out a window, all is see is a white sheet of wind.  The weather forecaster is now saying this storm is going to last until tomorrow evening.  It isn't quite a three-day blow.  More like a day-and-a-half blow.

I don't mind bad weather, as long as I'm home, in my pajamas, with a cup of hot chocolate spiked with Bailey's Irish Cream in my hands.  However, currently, I'm still at work, and I have about three hours before I can leave.  Perhaps things will be better in a few hours.

And perhaps Saint Marty isn't in the middle of a three-day blow.  Metaphorically, of course.

I took this last night before the storm

No comments:

Post a Comment