Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 27: Spring Break--Not Soon Enough

Next week is spring break for the university.  Despite all of the days this semester that have been canceled due to inclement weather (translation:  all this friggin' snow), I am totally ready for some time off.  Spring break can't come soon enough for me.

I have two more days of teaching left.  I have a lot to accomplish in those two days.  I have to finish a portion of my faculty evaluation.  I've been putting it off for quite some time.  Having two jobs really gets in the way.  My 40-hour-a-week, part-time job interferes with my part-time university teaching responsibilities.  At this point in my life, I've had this work schedule for so long that I don't know what I'd do if I had a full-time position at the university.  I can't imagine having all that extra time.

Maybe I'd write a novel, or finish one of the novels I've already started.  Perhaps I'd start fixing up my house instead of falling asleep on the couch after my son is in bed at 7 p.m.  I think I'd visit my son's classes more often.  I'd volunteer at my daughter's school, as well.  I'd love to be a music booster or some kind of poet-in-residence.  I know I'd go running every morning, and then I'd take up oil painting.  I've always wanted to do oil landscapes.

Yes, I drifted off into fantasy in that third paragraph.  It's fun to dream every once in a while.  I know I should be more realistic, but, if you're going to dream, dream big.

Saint Marty's dreaming the impossible dream.

Where's my windmill?

No comments:

Post a Comment