Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 10: Daylight Savings Time, Clocks, New Cartoon

I know I'm supposed to write about my favorite things on Sunday.  Well, the change for daylight savings time has sucked the goodness right out of me.  Through a series of unfortunate events, I ended up getting out of bed one hour earlier than I needed to this morning.

Last night, I set all of the clocks in our house ahead one hour.  I was on top of things.  I even went to bed about an hour earlier than usual, just so I wouldn't be exhausted this morning.  Well, when the alarm went off at 6:30 a.m., I stumbled out of bed into the bathroom.  I couldn't believe how tired I was.  I shaved, took a shower, and got dressed for church.  By the time I was done, it was 7:20 a.m.  Then I called my friend, "Molly," the choir director at church, as I do every Sunday morning.

Molly was still in bed and very confused.  "What time is it?" she asked.

I told her it was past 7 a.m.

"What?" she said.  "My alarm didn't go off.  I swear I set it last night."  I reminded her it was daylight savings time.  "I know," she said.  "I set my bedroom clock ahead last night."

"Well," I said.  "It's after seven."

"I've got to get moving," she said.  "Thanks for calling."

Fifteen minutes later, she called me back.  "Are you sure it's after seven?" she said.  "My clock says six."

"Just a second," I said.  I looked at my microwave.  It read 7:23 a.m.  I went to the living room  The clock on the wall read 6:23 a.m.  I looked at my alarm clock in the bedroom.  It read 7:24 a.m.  I opened my iPad.  It read 6:25 a.m.  I went back to the phone.  "I'm sorry, Mol," I said, "it's only 6:25 a.m."

"Thank God, " she said.  "I thought I was going crazy."

It turns out my alarm clock in the bedroom resets itself for daylight savings time.  Thus, it was two hours fast.  While I was in the bathroom, taking a shower, my wife got up and, thinking I forgot to reset it last night, set the microwave clock to my bedroom clock time..

So my internal clock was one hour slow.  My bedroom clock was two hours fast.  I was in so many time zones this morning I didn't know whether to say "good morning" or "good night."

Daylight savings time is not one of Saint Marty's favorite things today.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment