Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 17: Embracing Change

Okay, the title of this post is "Embracing Change."  This post will have nothing to do with embracing change.  I simply wanted to see what typing those two words together felt like.  Now I know.  It felt like brushing my teeth with a used toilet plunger.

In the medical office where I work, all the talk has been about change.  There's construction going on in the waiting room.  Pounding and cutting and measuring.  The hospital just released its master plan for the next five years, entailing the construction of a new medical center, outpatient surgery center, and outpatient services area.  Basically, in about two years' time, my whole job and workplace will be nonexistent in their present incarnations.  And people are excited about it.  Well, let me rephrase that statement.  People who have life sentences at the hospital are excited about it.  I, on the other hand, keep looking down at my watch, wondering when the head of the English Department at the university is going to call and offer me a full-time contract.

I'm not embracing these changes.  In fact, I need to take some Motrin in order to combat the physical effects of all this change talk.  I love the people I work with.  However, I don't want to embark on the maiden voyage of the H. M. S. Change.  I saw the movie Titanic.  I know what happened to a good majority of the passengers in steerage.  It wasn't pretty.  Even if I get to see Kate Winslet topless, I prefer to just rent the DVD and stay where I am.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I hear all of you saying, "You can't avoid change.  Change happens.  It's a part of life."

So are hair loss, organ failure, and death, and Saint Marty isn't too keen on those things, either.

Even this doesn't tempt me

No comments:

Post a Comment